Water Buffalo Hunting
PACKAGES FEATURING THE WATER BUFFALO
Season: March – July
- 6 Nigths and 5 Hunting Days
- One free range Red Stag trophy (no limit on score)
- Full board lodging – Open Bar
- One-on-one guiding
WATER BUFFALO FAQ's
There are two types of Water Buffalo: River Buffalo and Swamp Buffalo. River Buffaloes have longer faces and bigger limbs. Swamp Buffalos are bigger bodied and stocky with short bodies. The skin color of Water Buffalo varies. Many have black skin, similar to a polar bear however some may have dark, slate-colored skin. Water Buffalos, on rare occasions, have been to known to be albino. Water Buffalo also have massive horns that range from 24 to 32 inches long. Water Buffalo have the largest horns of any living animal. Read The History of Water Buffalo Hunting in Argentina
About the Water Buffalo
- They are dark grey to black
- White legs up to the knees
- Thin face with small ears
- Two tightly curled horns
- 200-400 pounds of usable meat
- Hide ~60 sq ft
- Horns for knife handles or ornaments
- Taxidermy Trophy
- When hunting Water Buffalo, the ideal shot placement is in the chest area, just behind the shoulder. This shot placement targets the vital organs and ensures a quick and humane kill. For larger, mature Water Buffalo, a shot placed slightly higher in the neck area can also be effective. An appropriate range to hunt Water Buffalo is between 50-150 yards, depending on the terrain and your shooting ability.
- ~10,000-15,000 water buffalo in Argentina
- Best time to hunt is March to December
- Primarily found in Northern Argentina
- Water Buffalo have a lifespan of ~20 years
The Water Buffalo
March to November: El Carrizal La Pampa
The water buffalo has black skin and some have dark slate-colored skin. Swamp buffaloes have a grey skin that later becomes a slate blue. Water buffalos on rare occasions have been to known to be albino. River buffaloes have longer faces and bigger limbs compared to swamp buffaloes. Swamp buffaloes are bigger bodied and quite stocky with short bodies. Weights can range between 1500 and 2200 lbs. Water buffaloes is not as aggressive as it African counterpart but these are massive animals that when cornered or wounded can easily turn against the hunter. Water buffalo come from Southeast Asia and have the ability to adapt to a large number of topographies. We mainly find them in wet grasslands, swampy areas, puddles and in or near rivers. These buffalo can have 1.2 meters maximum distance between the outer edges of their horns.
What We Provide Our Hunters...
As to plains game, we suggest riffles such as 7 mm RM or 300 WM caliber, fitted with a good scope. For water buffalo we recommend 375 HH caliber or bigger. For birdshooting 20 Ga. semi-automatic models are specially recommended. South American Adventure Safaris will provide premium quality ammunitions in 12 or 20 Ga. For 16, 28 and 410 calibers, please, order them in advance.
Munitions and cartridges will have to be dispatched in a hard box by separate as a registered baggage.